Translate

Thursday, February 6, 2014

My Review of Solving the Paleo Equation


I had the opportunity to read an advanced copy of Solving the Paleo Equation by Matt Stone and Dr. Garrett Smith, and really enjoyed this book. Like many people, I have been frustrated and grown tired of all the health and diet so-called gurus out there that all seem to do nothing more than contradict each other. Honestly, one day one super food is the end-all be-all of glowing health and ideal weight and then boom, we read elsewhere that that same super food is bad stuff. The average reader wants to throw a book across the room and go down a dozen doughnuts.

Solving the Paleo Equation is for folks like me, who don’t want to follow the latest craze; we just want down to earth, simple solutions that are easy to follow. Well, this book is it. I came away understanding that we really know more about what our body needs than we realize. It’s broken down into four parts: Stress, Nutrition, Exercise and Sleep.

From the book, we see that stress can wreak havoc on the body, and learn here that there are 12 major stressors, from diet and exercise stress, to irregularity and sleep stress. Nutrition has been a stressor in itself with so much conflicting information out there, but for Paleo followers, Matt addresses some myths that most take on faith in the Paleo way. Such as natural is always better, that we have not adapted to eating grains and dairy, that modern Paleo is the way our ancestors ate. Exercise should not produce vomiting or pain, and that we should listen to our body, which makes perfect, simple sense. Sleep is the topic that was very important to me, and I learned a lot. We all need to get outside every single day, away from our electronic devises with their Electro Magnetic Fields, and get grounded. This chapter has a lot of great and simple steps to take to get a better night’s sleep.

I’ve read lots of books not only about health and nutrition, but insomnia, too. This one is a keeper.
    

2 comments:

  1. Desperate enough to try anything. I have tried all the diet crazes and lost a few pounds only to realize that I was more miserable and lacking yet more sleep. When I go on I cannot eat anything period the doctor wants me to eat, when I eat, he wants me to stop eating...it is a no win situation. I believe that consumers have become very skeptical and no longer trusting of anyone's idea. Perhaps this latest idea may work, worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. I like a few things about what he writes, his advice about metabolism and sleep resonate with me. And I like that he doesn't make money from his own brand of supplements and other products.

    ReplyDelete